Shepton Mallet walks! Support our bid to become a Walkers are Welcome Town.
Sign our petition to support Shepton Mallet becoming a Walkers Are Welcome town! CLICK HERE
Walkers are Welcome is a national organisation with over 100 accredited Walkers are Welcome towns and villages. Why should Shepton Mallet join?
We want all walkers – from all parts of our town and further afield – to feel welcome. Walking has been the salvation of many people over the last year, giving us a sense of wellbeing during difficult times.
Shepton Mallet is perfectly positioned to explore the countryside around us, nestled as it is at the gateway to the Mendip hills, an area of outstanding natural beauty criss-crossed with trails, footpaths and the remains of ancient and medieval industry and old mine workings.
By making walkers feel welcome in our town we help our local economy and community – bringing walkers and visitors to our cafes, restaurants, shops, B&Bs and hotels, and other visitor attractions, and promoting the benefits of physical, health and mental wellbeing through walking.
To become a full member we need to show that people in the town and parish of Shepton Mallet support it.
Please sign our petition and help us reach our target of 1100 signatures!
Why should Shepton become a Walkers are Welcome town?
● Help to ensure public footpaths remain open and maintained for the benefit of local people and visitors
● Helps to create new footpaths and walking groups
● Encourages preparation of local walking guides and signage
● Promotes the health and wellbeing benefits of walking and being in the countryside
● Gives local people and visitors the opportunity to learn about the culture, history, heritage and biodiversity of Shepton Mallet and surrounding countryside
● Helps to ensure that footpaths and other facilities are kept in good condition
Tourism / economic benefits
● Attracts more people to visit Shepton Mallet to enjoy local walks
● Brings in more people to use local shops, B&Bs, Hotels, Pubs, Cafés, Restaurants, etc. through increased footfall
● Strengthens Shepton’s reputation as a walking destination when signed walks/walk guides are available
● Helps to promote other local visitor attractions such as the Prison and the Art Bank
● Show that walkers will be given a warm welcome by the local community
● We can benefit from regular networking opportunities with other members of the Network – Frome and Cheddar are already members